Post by duendeyerbero on Oct 3, 2008 15:18:17 GMT -5
Hi! So I have to remove the pots out of an AXL tiger pro bass, because they´re making a lot of scrachty sounds. However that´s not the issue...The thing is, the bass has a 2 band eq (lots of wires) and I was thinking about replacing the wires from the battery...How do I desolder them from the 2 band eq? Should I use my soldering iron? I see no solder around the wire, and I´m afraid I´ll burn the case... And of course, how do I solder it back in??? Thanks
Well, I want to replace it because it´s ripped (in a place the cam doesn´t show of course). Wich are the consequences of using a 250k pot with a preamp?
I have heard 1.5 schools of thought on this.
Some say they work fine, except they are too bright if you don't back off from 10 quite a bit ... so it could be a little "twitchy" when you try to fine tune, because you won't have all of the "0 to 10" to play with.
Some go so far as to say that they end up acting as on-off switches.
D2o is right on both counts. 250K vs. 50K will sound considerably brighter, and it will also have less range of variation over the range of the control. It won't quite be an on-off switch. If you substituted 500K, that would be an on-off switch!
Bottom line, unless you just want to mod for modding's sake, replace the pots with at least close to a value that's in there. The manufacturer probably thought about the values for that pot before deciding on a 50K value- or they copied the design of someone who had thought about it. . . You're unlikely to improve on what they decided on, especially when we're talking of a 5X increase.
On the other hand, it's a bass, so it will only go "thump thump" in the end no matter what you do. ;D
Post by duendeyerbero on Oct 6, 2008 22:32:28 GMT -5
hahaha! Thanx a lot Newey! After all, I just cleaned the pots with contact cleaner, cause in my little country (Costa Rica) I couldn´t find the 50K pots.....I think I got rid of the scratchiness...
About the battery issue, I just replaced the battery thing (The place where the battery is attached...I don´t know it´s name in english) by using the existing wires, soldering the wires from the new device to the pieces of wire that were left and insulating them with heat shrinks, so I didn´t even touch the 2 band eq´s case. The old battery thing was made of soft material, so I bought a hard one from Radio Shack.