i'm not familiar with the switch you have. sounds like it might be one of the import switches you'd find on jackson or ibanez.
i'll bet the fastest way to figure out the wiring you need for this would be to use an ohmmeter to determine the common terminal and the neck, middle, and bridge lugs of the "tone" half of the switch.
those plastic switches don't hold up well to heat, so if you're lucky it still works.
as far as that cap goes,
not likely you've "blown" the cap.
electrolytics have a polarity, but not the cap that one would find in a guitar tone control (mylar, polyproylene, polystyrene, or heaven forbid - ceramic)
often these caps (including the green "chicklet" you've discribed) have a bar near one of the leads to indicate the plates physically nearest the outside. it is preferred that this be connected to ground to provide a microscopic improvement in noise rejection. but connecting it the other way won't really hurt anything.
"Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver. " -- Steve Hopton
"some people say happiness is just a State of mind...................... i think it should be a whole freakin' Country!" -- unklmickey
Hello there, I just saw your post and am having exactly the same problem. I have a Squire strat with an enclosed 5 way switch also. Did you ever manage to find out how to rewire this after screening? Any info much appreciated as the only other way I can see of curing the problem is to buy a CRL 5 way as in the " quietening the beast" info. Cheers, Lazaman......
Post by stratosonic on Nov 24, 2005 15:52:05 GMT -5
thanks for the helpfull tips and intrest
. . well
went through all elements to find the culprit
firstly changed the green mayla 0.047 to two 0.047 sprague orange drops per tones
changed the naff! 5 way switch to a quailty CRL vintage 3 way ( ala matchsticK position 2/4)
> the testing
w i r e d i t i n a n d c r a n k e d u p t h e s i l v e r f a c e ..............
>>>>>>>>>>> No Tone : ( <<<<<<<<<<<
apart she came
on closer inspection of the pots i noticed i had a solder run down one of the terminals onto on r2 mid tone - opened it up and noticed the board had buckled - the plastic wheel also appeared a tad flimsy in design . . .
Also to be honest - the pots were overly soldered for ground wiring from the begining ( stock wiring )
can only think i got a little over confident soldering the pot from above - the pots buckled during my removing the ground wires and excess solder from them
SO !!!!!!! switched the pots completely to trusty CTS 500k As Well
conclusion .......................... my partners got herself a fine squier : )