Neck pickup getting no sound, but it registers as working Dec 21, 2020 19:10:04 GMT -5
Post by wowired on Dec 21, 2020 19:10:04 GMT -5
Hey everybody, this is my first post so thank you ahead of time for any help. So after playing guitar for decades I decided to buy one of those diy kits and build my own. Everything has been going smoothly until I finished
the wiring. I did put in some CTS full size pots and got set of humbucker pickups with the single wire shielded design. I'm attaching couple images which I hope upload - one of the wiring diagram and other of the pots and switch. It is kind of crammed in the pocket compared to other guitars. The bridge pickup works fine. There is a 3 way toggle switch, in Bridge I get the Bridge pickup working fine, in middle, I get bridge pickup - but no neck although the neck must have the volume turned up or no sound comes out of it. On the neck switch I get nothing. However, not sure if this means anything...I can plug the guitar into my tuner and can tune in any mode: neck, middle, and bridge. Maybe I'm ignorant of this all these years, but thought that you need the pickup to be working for it to register in the tuner? I'm new to wiring and not the most experienced solderer, but did check out a lot of tutorials and the like. I did troubleshoot a lot and have a multimeter so will break that down to help everyone understand what I have already done. I didn't jump here first. So:
1) Grounding. Everything is grounded. I used multimeter and put ground on jack ground and went through each pot, bridge, strings...got a clean signal from each.
2) Switch. I though at first maybe switch was bad and I had an extra so I did change that out, but situation is the same. I checked and the ground is fine with it, plus checked from hot lead to jack and checked the
bridge and neck tab on it and got a signal. (sorry if my names of parts aren't correct).
3) Pickups: Used multimeter and connected to ground and live inner wire (it's those shielded wires where you solder the outer to pot for grounding) Both pickups were reading right around 8.5 k which is in the range for them.
When plugged into amp, I did the screwdriver tap test. The bridge pickup I get the "pop" sound when tap it with a screwdriver. The neck however, I get nothing. But I got a reading from the neck pickup.
4) I understand the shielded cables on the pickups like this can cause shorts if touching things like the caps or other metal spots and have kept them clear of those while testing everything and plugged into my amp.
5) I though maybe my soldering on neck volume and tone pots may have been bad or a wire, so I went and removed the wires, cleaned everything up, snipped the pickup wire back and did fresh soldering, but still same thing.
6) Checked between all the little tabs on pots and no solder or random wires are touching or crossing over. I went through and made sure no junk was lying around just to be safe. Not that there was before, but check all the little things.
I'm honestly at a loss and figure next would be go to a local tech/luthier and have them try and figure it out. The pots were new and read fine as well. I don't know if possible I had 2 bad switches or if something is just shorting out.
I just find it weird the bridge setup which is same as the neck, works fine. Not getting any hum or that in amp like grounding issue (in past I have had that with other guitars so know what sounds like lol) So here I am signed up and posting on
here hoping someone may have an idea. I'm big into problem solving and know bringing it to a pro would be next step, but if something simple like changing out a switch or that..... I've seen other post about neck pickups, but they weren't exactly
like this. Most seemed to be bad switches or a ground problem. Once again thanks in advance for any help or suggestions. I do appreciate it. Tried to clarify everything as best as possible. I hope the images upload.