New Instructions on Image Posting Mar 3, 2018 22:53:33 GMT -5
Post by reTrEaD on Mar 3, 2018 22:53:33 GMT -5
New Instructions on Image Posting
- The first item is not new, but it bears repeating any time images are discussed.
IMPORTANT: This is a family-friendly site. Be sure to upload only appropriate images. Is this something you'd want your child to be able to see? No? Then don't post it on GN2.
- PhotoBucket has pretty much hosed all online communities, forcing us to look for other alternatives. PhotoBucket, you were the go-to host for images for over a decade. We salute you. But now you've done us dirty by holding all those images as hostages. Therefore, we salute you again. But since this a family-friendly site, we won't mention how many fingers were involved in that second salute. (and there won't be a rule-breaking image posted)
- Attachments have drawbacks (can't be viewed by unregistered visitors, etc) and since we're above the free limits, they will cost money on a continuing basis. We're moving away from them. The button has been removed. Existing attachments are still visible but posting new ones is no longer possible.
- SIU the Simple Image Upload plug-in with imgbb is an extremely convenient way to (Add image to post) just like the button says. It's not even necessary to make an account with imgbb. The option to make an account with imgbb exists and might be worth exploring. But it isn't required. Just click the button and a dialogue window will guide you through the process of uploading an image from your computer or one you've found on the internet. A few clicks and BAM! your image links, already formatted for the forum will drop into your post. SIU will be the most useful tool in the kit for new users. It's incredibly easy to use.
Please note: imgbb has a most unpleasant method of handling thumbnails for non-square images. It crops them. If your image is significantly wider that it is tall or significantly taller than it is wide, the thumbnail will have a lot of real estate lopped of the edges of the longer axis. The image itself, when the thumbnail is clicked, will be complete. Only the display of the thumbnail is affected.
- The rather insistent notice you will receive when Cloudinary is brought to GN2, is worth your attention. By making an account with Cloudinary and filling in the two new fields in your user profile, another button (Upload File) will appear when you create a post. More possibilities exist here. In addition to images, you can upload pdfs and many other file types. And you can get images you already use on other social media.
While more complicated than the SIU system it does allow a ton of features. And like SIU the button is right there when you need it. Think of this as a second-level alternative ... by the time you outgrow SIU, you'll probably have the skills to begin making use of some of the numerous benefits of the more complicated Cloudinary system.
- We may bring other file hosting sources to GN2 as a button-driven option when posting. If ProBoards Support writes additional plugins, we'll explore those options.
- As always, GN2 can still allow images from many other hosts. The process is more complicated for you, but if you want to use your images from IMGUR, for instance, feel free to do so.
- This post will be updated as new information is made available. Be sure to read it occasionally.
- Questions regarding SIU (there won't be many) will be handled in: About that (Add image to post) button . . .
- Question regarding Cloudinary will be handled in the soon to be created Cloudinary Instructions thread.
- If you have suggestions for other ways images might be dealt with, please use the the appropriate venue, your direct line to the GN2 staff: The Suggestion Box .